Thursday, February 14, 2013

Harvest of the Month

My school is participating in the "Harvest of the Month". Basically, the district sends us a fruit or vegetable that is in season each month. We also receive information about the farm that sent it to us. Today was the first month. We received enough mandarin oranges for each student to have one. We ate them at snack.

I told the kids when they peeled it, to feel it, smell it, and then slowly taste it...because we'd be writing about it. What I didn't tell them, was how we would be writing about it.

When the students got back in, they each got their iPad. I had them open up the "Drawing Pad" app. They each then drew the mandarin orange they had eaten, along with a slice of it. I had them include the white part too! After that, we described the orange by the way it looked, felt, smelled, and tasted. I had them write that on their iPad too. They LOVED it!!!






4 comments :

  1. I'm not sure who enjoyed it more, me or them? I love that they were using the iPads in more ways than just playing math and reading games. And it cut down on paper too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So your whole class has set of iPads?! That's wonderful! I just got a second iPad for my class and would love to use it for writing. What app did you use? Great ideas, thanks so much for sharing:)

    Aloha,
    Corinna
    Surfin' Through Second"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, our school is a magnet school for technology. One of the magnet grants paid for some iPads for the classrooms to share. It is a FANTASTIC resource to have. I had never used one until last summer when I started working for the school.

    The app they used is called "Drawing Pad".

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!
-Sarah :^D