Saturday, September 8, 2012

What do you see?


http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Harvest-Clip-Art
What do you think of when you see this image? If you're like me, you're probably sweating a little under the brow, your blood pressure just went up, and you're looking around for a way out of the room. This seemingly simple image of an ear of corn can do that to an elementary teacher. Especially a lower grades elementary teacher. To the common person stumbling upon this image, one may think of summertime and BBQing ears of corn with a side order of ribs and watermelon.

But to a teacher, this image means so much more. It means reality has hit. It means summer is over and real work has begun. No more reviews of last year's standards, no more get-to-know-you games. And less time.

There I said it.

With the summer slipping further behind us soon the days will be getting shorter and our to do lists longer. This year the school that I'm teaching at does a Harvest Festival. This is a new concept to me and I hope my to do list doesn't get tooooo long. 

The talk in the e-mails the last few days is having a scarecrow contest. I'm not sure I'm up for that. Pitting classrooms against each other doesn't seem like a good way to build a community. Why not just have a pumpkin carving station. No competition, just plain old fun...and mess...outside of my classroom of course.

Don't forget to sign up for my Teacher's Notebook Giveaway! 

2 comments :

  1. Are these pictures some of your clipart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I just added these and some leaves to both shops.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you!
-Sarah :^D